Welcome to Platoon Forward!

Welcome to the site where the story of the battle is as important as the battle itself. Here we will focus on men thrust into extraordinary situations of life and death. They must lead other men with duty and honor to meet their countries objectives. Some will be blessed with great skill, some will carry great shortcomings. No matter what nation, no matter what war, no matter what theater, they are all called to move their Platoon or Squadron forward!

These are their individual stories as played out using my various campaign rules . Hopefully these stories will entertain and inspire you to use your own troops, airmen and sailors to accomplish your own great heroics.

Saturday, September 9, 2017

Smattering of eye candy

Been busy potentially changing the way I do my  tactical combat.  I have longed used Combat Patrol for activation which I think is a brilliant system ( particularly with my house rules).  I have used the CP cards to determine infantry hits and used FoF for pretty much everything else.  I have noticed that the games do drag a bit if I have more than 2 squads per side on the table.  I was trying to figure out how to "speed things up" without losing my emphasis on command. ( Something which FoF lacks.)  Am working on it and think I am on to something.  Am using FoF initative ( similar to CP's interruption) but making the grades of your leaders mean something.   Will let you all know when I have it figured out.  So been "playtesting" with my armies army russians and QRF vehicles.


Russians advancing with a T-72 in the background on overwatch. ( Tanks on overwatch can only fire once.)
A leopard waits. 
A Humvee in the wrong place at the wrong time.

US squad prepares for contact

Russian BMP bites the dust in Afganistan

My newly minted Hind prepares to take out some rebels!
A town in Estonia

Another view  ( Need to get some more grey boards!)

Russians advance up a street

Heavy artillery takes out a house!  ( Working on scatter rules for artillery and airstrikes.)

T-72 meets a fiery end.

Serious fighting in Tallinn.  A wounded RPG gunner takes aim.

Enjoy

Joe
















4 comments:

  1. Looking good, great to see the modern stuff getting an outing.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your gear is looking great Joe, I can't wait to see the batreps. Particularly the Iraq fights ;)

    I spy a lot of buildings and vehicles I hadn't seen previously, looks like you've been super busy!

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have just discovered Dodge Billingsley's tac scenario book on the Chechen Wars, "Fangs of the Lone Wolf" and throw it out as a modern scenario source.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the comments. Yes Stuart I seem to be favoring the modern stuff a lot lately. Just painted up 5 more russians and an M1 tank in woodland camo.
    Jack, yes have been collecting enough stuff to do a grand city fight. Waiting for battlefront appartment buildings then I hope to be ready. (Tinned fruit also offered to make me up a building.)
    Hugh, sounds interesting. there is a Chechen scenario in the FOF rulebook that I want to try. I have no Chechen but will sub in Afghani's.
    Thanks again
    Joe

    ReplyDelete