Welcome to Platoon Forward!

Welcome to the site where the story of the battle is as important as the battle itself. Here we will focus on men thrust into extraordinary situations of life and death. They must lead other men with duty and honor to meet their countries objectives. Some will be blessed with great skill, some will carry great shortcomings. No matter what nation, no matter what war, no matter what theater, they are all called to move their Platoon or Squadron forward!

These are their individual stories as played out using my various campaign rules . Hopefully these stories will entertain and inspire you to use your own troops, airmen and sailors to accomplish your own great heroics.

Sunday, July 2, 2017

The Corps in the Stan

Life has been busy but finally got to play some over the fourth of July weekend.   Really wanted to use my marine AAV-7 so rolled up a platoon attack scenario using Platoon Forward.

Mission:  Intel has ID a compound as a supply cache for taliban in the area.  Secure the compound.


Compound upper right.  1 squad will enter the woods bottom right to prevent the enemy from escaping.  AAV will enter with the second squad from the left.  Markers represent "blinds" which will be rolled for during the game.

US forces    2 marine squads of 3 fireteams ( FoF TQ 8 morale 10.  Combat Patrol add 1 blue card)
2 SLs both Gr III leaders.   6 team leaders ( 4 Gr I and 2 Gr II) 1 Platoon Leader ( Gr II) and 1 medic.1 AAV and 1 Humvee with TOW.   1 Apache helo in support.


The vehicles roll up to the compound.

Tali emerge from the village thus they are behind the marines

The TOW blows the gate to the compound.  As the marines exit their vehicles they come under heavy fire from a MMG in the compound and from Tali in the village.  One fire team sets up in the village and 2 break for the compound.

A firefight erupts in the village.  6 marines against 16 Taliban.
In the great tradition of the Corps, the marines win the firefight, sustaining only 1 serious WIA.
Medic at work!

Meanwhile the two fireteams rush the compound while the Apache keeps the MMG busy.
The marines storm the compound and take it in brutal hand to hand fighting.   8 Taliban KIA, 2 prisoners at the cost of 1 KIA.

Fun game that played relatively quickly.   No post game as I had not rolled up a marine platoon.  For those of you that want to try this the forces generated were:
2 taliban squads in the village with 7 rifles, 1 RPG and a Gr I leader each.  TQ 6 morale 10.  In the compound  was a MMG Gr II leader and a squad of 6 rifles, 1 SAW, 1 RPG and a gr II leader.  the folks in the compound are TQ 8 morale 10.  I rolled for one reinforcement and only got a sniper.  For more of a challenge add another squad that enters turn 3.

Started a SAGA game between my romans and franks.  Two pictures:
Romans defend the burh
Franks destroy the gate!

Enjoy

Joe





3 comments:

  1. Joe,

    Now you're talking buddy! Modern gaming, and Marines to boot! Went well for the Gyrenes, I'd expect nothing else. But whaddaya mean you haven't rolled up a Marine platoon!!!??? Sacrilege! Of course their Platoon Sergeant should be "Big Jack" ;)

    It surprised me a bit when I saw the LVTP-5, but I understand, I'm a 'proxier' myself, and it worked fine.

    I know you don't have a platoon rolled up, but I hope you stick with this one for awhile.

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed it Joe - keen to see more. Must look up more about your system. Great to have an apache on hand. Think I'm sending my guys in lacking adequate support in my games. Cheers Alan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack, knew you would love this! Just for you I am going roll up this squad and their squad leader is going to be "Jack, just Jack." ( A Plt Sgt would rarely get in my games.)
    Oswald, glad you enjoyed it. My "system" is a smatering of a bunch of stuff. For the scenarios/ personalities I use Platoon Forward and Grunts Forward. For the tactical games Force on force and Combat Patrol. You do need to send in a lot of support; particularly the US. Just adjust victory conditons. This game was a draw as Tali had enough time to move some stuff out.

    ReplyDelete