Welcome to Platoon Forward!

Welcome to the site where the story of the battle is as important as the battle itself. Here we will focus on men thrust into extraordinary situations of life and death. They must lead other men with duty and honor to meet their countries objectives. Some will be blessed with great skill, some will carry great shortcomings. No matter what nation, no matter what war, no matter what theater, they are all called to move their Platoon or Squadron forward!

These are their individual stories as played out using my various campaign rules . Hopefully these stories will entertain and inspire you to use your own troops, airmen and sailors to accomplish your own great heroics.

Sunday, June 15, 2014

A small town in southern France

This should be my last post from the British Isles.  Mover's come Tuesday then it is off for a month's holiday in Europe before we head back to the good ole' USA.  Blog should be up and running by end of August-- mid September.   Have been playing some Bag the Hun and my P-38 "Headhunters" are getting a workout.

WW II donnybrook is about done.  Just need to work on the vehicle rules.  It is still a little too deadly but most people prefer that anyway.  To see if it would work with just a squad a piece I set this small scenario up in France.  I didn't use any of my Platoon Forward platoon's because I wasn't sure it would work.  Using PF I rolled up an american squad and sent them into the town using the "Patrol" scenario.  I did not roll up the Germans but gave them a squad for this test.  To allow better tactics at this small of scale I gave each side a Grade 0 ASL.

Inspired by War Panda's blog I decided even if I can't paint like him maybe I can make my story a little more comic book.  I don't have Comic Life 3 but decided to use photoshop.  I think it worked pretty well but was time consuming.  Let me know if you like this style and maybe I will repeat it.

MISSION:    Take a patrol into the town up the road and see if the Krauts occupy it. 

Sgt Travers      SL  Gr I leader
Cpl Paul   ASL     Gr 0
1 Bar team 3 men
7 riflemen

Germans
Sgt SL   Gr II  leader
Pvt  ASL Gr 0
3 man LMG
5 riflemen



































After the germans make it into the church a firefight breaks out.   The 5 man rifle team takes casualties as the the US BAR team.   Then Sgt Travers sees a back door to the sacristy. 







Great game that took an hour.    The german NCO was wounded and taken prisoner.  2 US casualties

Total casualties

US  0 KIA   4 WIA
German  2 KIA   4 POW( WIA )   2 WIA that escaped. 

See you on the other side of the pond

Cheers

Joe

4 comments:

  1. Sgt Travers is a great guy, could even be a relative :-) They all got out, albeit wounded.

    The Comic was OK;, but if it was too much effort, the old way was just as fine.

    Hope the holiday is great and the move goes fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not come up with a first name for the good Sergeant until now--Shaun it is! He did very well. With my leadership mechanic the german NCO should have been reacting to the battle faster but the cards fell Shaun's way.
    He did a great job.
    The comic was a fair amount of effort. Might get Comic Life 3 when I get back to the states.
    Thank you for your well wishes!!

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice bit of work here and I look forward to more. Safe journey and see you in August.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris,

    Thanks. I actually spent 8 weeks with the RAAF as an exchange officer many many years ago. You have an great country!

    Joe

    ReplyDelete