Welcome to Platoon Forward!

Welcome to the site where the story of the battle is as important as the battle itself. Here we will focus on men thrust into extraordinary situations of life and death. They must lead other men with duty and honor to meet their countries objectives. Some will be blessed with great skill, some will carry great shortcomings. No matter what nation, no matter what war, no matter what theater, they are all called to move their Platoon or Squadron forward!

These are their individual stories as played out using my various campaign rules . Hopefully these stories will entertain and inspire you to use your own troops, airmen and sailors to accomplish your own great heroics.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

A New Project

It is rare for me to take on a new period.  I have been wargaming forever but only started in miniatures in 2006.  I limited myself to WW II land sea and air.  When I moved to England I became interested in the Dark Ages with so much history here so started that in the same scale, 15 mm.  Then I visited the HMS Victory several weeks ago, what an inspiration! 
I purchased Kiss Me Hardy for Age of Sail and Sharp Practice years ago from TFL and had toyed with them from time to time.  KMH has too much book keeping for me.  SP is a great game, I just have no interest in the Napoleonic period hailing from America.  Then a unifying theme hit me-- Pirates!  Just needed to find a set of AoS rules.  
I had settled on Form Line of Battle when I came across Beat to Quarters by Don Gifford at freewargamerules.co.uk     They aren't perfect but are 80% there and I can fix the rest.  Thank you Sir for a great set of fast play rules!  Here  is a test game using my son's Pirate ships.

                                          6 Spanish SOLs vrs 5 British SOLs using Nick Skinners
                                           optional Command rules from one of the specials.

                                                The Dons double the Tar's line!

                                              The Brits  cut the Spanish line due to poor sailing by
                                                the Spanish. 

So my new projects?
1.  Paint up land forces for the caribean for SP
2.  Come up with a Platoon Forward type game for my Naval officers.   Don't know if I should call it Captains Forward or In the service of the King.  I will probably do a pirate version too. 
3.  Fix up  Beat to Quarters
4.  Maybe purchase some ships but I have to say my son's ships did pretty well.   I am intimidated by the 1/1200 scale ships as no one has every accused me of being a modeler. 

So my first Naval officer for CP or ISoK is Lt Ron Ronald  RN.   He has just been given the 10 gun Cutter HMS Seawitch.  His first mission is to transport some soldiers and Lt Thompkins to capture Sneaky Pete who has been smuggling goods to our fair Island.    Lt Thompkins is in charge of the operation once on land.  (This generated some discussion on TMP) 

                                           Sneaky Pete's hideout is top center.
                                           He can escape with good off the dock to the top left.
                                           He can just escape into the wilds off the top.
                                           The goods are in the Barn. 
                                            Lt Thompkins' plan is to tkae his force to the dock.
                                            Lt Ronald to take his force around the camp and
                                            block retreat into the wilds.
                                            Sentry on the hill has just fired a warning shot.

Lt Thompkins    Gr I     Hesitant Leader  Fanatic/ Govt     8 Rifles
Lt  Ronald   RN   Gr I  Scholarly/Avarice           7   Muskets   poor shots
Bos'un  Fishback  Gr II  Pessimistic/Glutton        8   sailors

                                          Lt Thompkins men get ready to fire.
                                          This is as far as they got.   The hesitant CC card came up
                                          every single turn after this!!!

The navymen started to work their way around the camp trading musket fire with the theives.  Lt Ronald wondered why the Army wasn't moving.   Sneaky Pete would get away! He blew the whistle to get Fishback's attention and ordered everyone to charge for the King!  (and his career)


                                          The Pirates wonder who all these silver Martians are?

I didn't take anymore pictures because I decided not to post this because of the unpainted figures. Fishback was great as he pushed the pirates back.  But Sneaky Pete lived up to his name and got 16/23 loot points plus a cannon loaded onto a boat along with 10 men and made it off the map.  Ronald was furious with Thompkins!  Lt Thompkins' explenation was that he was moving cautiously as he didn't know what he was up against and he carried about his men's lives.  Lt Ronald then mentioned casually that they need not mention the 6 points of loot that the pirates had left but the fanatic Thompkins would hear none of that. Ron was barely able to conceal any of it for himself!

The system generated 15 Pirates for Sneaky Pete plus a Gr I leader who is Dumb Doug.   Half the pirates have muskets and are poor shots.  Sneaky Pete is a Gr II leader but is Dynamic. 
 
Lt Ronald told the truth in his report but the Commodore would hear none of it.   Sneaky Pete got away and Ron was blaming the Army.  He was dressed down and lost a Glory point.  (You can win by Glory, Power or Wealth, I think) 

To drown his sorrows he went to the Navy club where not much happened.  He then went to a brothel where we don't discuss what happened except he didn't get robbed.  (Once a quarter you have to have female companionship to disprove all those things Rich says about the Royal Navy.)

Lt Ronald's next mission is a solo patrol.

Needless to say I am excited about starting these new projects.  It is rare for me so I don't think it will be a flash in the pan.  The campaign game is almost writing itself as this period really lends itself to the forward treatment.

Any suggestions  on any of the 4 let me know

Enjoy

Joe





    

2 comments:

  1. Maybe now I have a new use for my large Pirates! collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. James,
    I hope so! Are they the plastic ships? They are working out great; probably because I don't know that much about ships.

    Joe

    ReplyDelete